Miraval Life in Balance Spa leader trainer, Trish Sachs, brings us her "28 Ways to Add More Steps To Your Day"
1. Park at the edge of the parking lot rather than taking the closest spot.
2. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
3. Use the restroom, water fountain, break room, etc. that is farthest from your workspace.
4. Take small breaks from work throughout the day to get up and walk around your office, building or block.
5. Take a 15-minute walking break before eating lunch.
6. Walk to your coworker's desk instead of calling/emailing them.
7. If possible, turn some of your work meetings into "walk & talks."
8. Form a workplace walking group and meet to walk together during lunch or a break.
9. Get a treadmill desk and walk while you work.
10. Walking to a meeting? Leave a few minutes early and take the long way.
11. Have a phone call scheduled with a far-away friend? Take a walk while you talk.
12. Invite a friend or family member to take a walk with you as a way to spend quality time together.
13. Visit a local park and explore the trails.
14. Take a historic landmark walking tour.
15. Take your dog for a walk (or a longer walk than usual!).
16. Walk around a neighborhood that you'd love to live in.
17. Sign up for a charity walk to raise money for a cause you care about.
18. Hide the TV remote and get up to change the channels.
19. When watching TV, walk around the house during commercial breaks.
20. Take extra trips when unloading groceries from the car or carrying laundry to the bedroom, rather than loading up as much as you can at once.
OUT & ABOUT
21. When possible, walk to stores, restaurants, etc. instead of driving.
22. Park at the edge of the parking lot rather than taking the closet spot.
23. Avoid drive-thrus; get out and go into the bank or restaurant.
24. Return the shopping cart all the way to the store when done shopping.
25. Take public transit one stop early and walk the rest of the way.
26. Get off public transit one stop early and walk the rest of the way.
27. When waiting at the airport, walk around the terminal instead of waiting at your gate.
28. Early for an appointment? Walk around the block instead of sitting in the waiting room."